Sunday, July 16, 2006

Shorter Than Short

Picking up this month’s issue of O magazine was like going mining for diamonds and later discovering you unwittingly brought home rubies, emeralds and sapphires too. The theme of this issue, printed in blood red along the spine, is Summer Reading Issue. The gems within include Love At First Sentence (a roundup of irresistible openings), What You’re Really Going To Want To Read This Summer (32 tantalizing books for the beach), How To Read A Hard Book, Flash Fiction, How To Tell A Story and The Reader As Artist (written by the great Toni Morrison). I’m only halfway through the magazine and can already feel my resolve to not buy another book this month steadily cracking. But what really grabbed me among the articles above was Flash Fiction.

O challenged eight writers to tell a story in less than 300 words or less. Something like, as O put it, a novel crossed with a haiku. The result was eight stunning pieces. Like exquisite hor’dourves.

Since reading Proulx’s masterpiece of Brokeback Mountain earlier this year (yes, I’m a late bloomer!) I’ve been fascinated by the art of short story writing. Getting my first piece rejected by the editor of Silverfish New Writing 6, made me even more intrigued about this cili padi of the literary world. So I gobbled up all these eight little pieces. All were delicious, but one left an aftertaste that lingered for a long time. Here it is.

Near Taurus
By Dawn Raffel

After the rains had come and gone, we went down by the reservoir. No on was watching, or so it looked to us.
The night was like to drown us.
Our voices were high – his, mine; soft, bright – and this was not the all of it (when is it ever?).
Damp palms, unauthorized, young: We would never be caught, let alone apprehended, one by the other.
He was misunderstood; that’s what the boy told me.
“Orion, over there. Only the best. The body won’t show until later,” he said. “Arms and such.”
Me, I could not find the best, not to save my life, I said.
Flattened with want: “There is always another time,” he said.
He died, that boy. Light-years! Ages and ages. And here I am: a mother, a witness, a raiser of a boy.
I could tell you his name.
I could and would not.
“Here’s where the world begins,” he’d said. I se him now – unbroken still; our naked eyes searching for legends – the dirt beneath us parched.


Now, I didn’t share this with you solely out of goodwill. ☺ If you’re reading this post, I challenge you to write a piece of flash fiction – 300 words max –and post it on your own blog. If you don’t have your own blog, you’re most welcome to email your story to me at stephsm_78@yahoo.com and I’ll post it up for you here. I’ll post my own piece up by the end of this week. On your marks, get set, WRITE!

P/S: Do drop me a note when your story is up. I’d love to read it!

19 Comments:

Blogger bibliobibuli said...

oooohhh that's a great challenge!

i love flash fiction and have a couple of very good books on writing it

will link this

btw - it's proulx not proust!!!

8:48 AM  
Blogger starlight said...

oh good god! of all the typos to make....am changing it right now! thank you!!

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starlight, before proceeding, my profound apologies if I offend, but I offer my next opinion in sincere honesty and with no malice intended.

I am no slouch at literary reading. But "Near Taurus" did nothing for me - what was that all about? If your reader cannot understand you...either the reader is really stupid, or the writer wants the reader to think the writer is clever. Otherwise, the writer is just stroking his/her own ego amidst a bunch of mutually admiring and self-congratulating writers.

The real challenge therefore will be to craft a simple story with 300 beautiful words which a normal reader (who cannot read your mind) can understand.

8:23 PM  
Blogger starlight said...

no offence taken, anon! i like this piece because it conjured up lovely images in my mind's eye. my understanding of that story is that it was about a love that ended too soon. the woman was probably doing something completely mundane, like taking out the trash at night, when she idly looks up at the sky, sees the stars and is snatched back through time.

or it could also be that she was a mature woman in an unhappy marriage and the boy was just that - a boy.

so she says, "i could not find the best, not to save my life."
the phrase 'a raiser of a boy' and 'unbroken still' could refer to him losing his virginity to her.

there are a million ways this story could be interpreted. this is just mine and i like the way it plays in my mind. i have no idea why it's called 'nearing taurus' though. but i'll post up my other favourite story from the collection tomorrow. see if you like that better!

8:39 PM  
Blogger starlight said...

one more thing - yes, i completely agree with you that writers should write for their readers and not for their own ego. some of the other stories in the magazine made me go, "what the..."

such writers irritate me with their cleverly and differently indented paragraphs, their one word endings that make no sense, unnecessary big words and sentences that look like they've been cut from different stories and flung together.

so yes, the real challenge will be to write a ultrashort story that all normal readers above the age of 6 will understand.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starlight,

That sounds cool. =)

I've just submitted something to you via email. Check it out.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, forgot to introduce myself. I'm John Ling from http://www.johnling.net

Not at all related to the first anon. Hehe.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its called Near Taurus, because the Taurus constellation is near Orion.
This is a challenge indeed, I'll try something that anyone over 6 (and speaks English!) can understand.
Hi. Came over from Sharon's blog.

11:05 PM  
Blogger starlight said...

Hi John! How've you been? And is your new book already out?

Hey Animah - I feel like I already know you from all your comments on Sharon's blog. :) I suspected that's why it's called Near Taurus, but wasn't sure so decided to avoid foot-in-mouth moment. thanks for dropping by!

7:26 AM  
Blogger Jane Sunshine said...

Cool. I'll send you one as soon as I emerge from this work I'm drowning in currently.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Rafleesia said...

You know, it's stange how literature needs to be read over and over again to be appreciated. Upon my first reading, I actually wrote a comment that I totally didn't get it and was about to post it when I decided to give Near Taurus another chance. I liked it a lot better the second time around. And I like it for the imagery it invokes and the possibilities it creates.

I'm a fan of ambiguous descriptions (what an oxymmoron!)and I love the closing line: “Here’s where the world begins,” he’d said. I see him now –unbroken still; our naked eyes searching for legends – the dirt beneath us parched."

Thank you for sharing.

And I love the idea of the challenge. Never attempted anything that length before and will be interesting to see how people approach it their own unique way.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Leon Wing said...

Hi Starlight, I picked your post from over at Sharon's. You wanted us to drop u a note if we had some short shorts?

So, here is mine, at a little below 300 words, in my posting - way back then - at http://leonwing.blogspot.com/2005/06/look-at-who-stepped-in-when-train.html

The posting before this - http://leonwing.blogspot.com/2005/06/while-he-lay-downstairs-and-she.html - has one a little over 300 words, and it is in Rentakini, in Malaysiakini.

10:36 PM  
Blogger starlight said...

Jane - Looking forward to it!

Rafleesia - Don't try too hard to think of a plot. Just start writing and it will come to you. Write about food if you're still lost. I love your food posts!!

Leon - I like 'While He Lay Downstairs Ad She Upstairs' very much! So much said in so few words!

4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, I am Namra, I was re-routed to here from Sharon's.

This is interesting, I want in, so here's the links to mine:







So yeah, I'm not so good making up titles so urmmhh...yeah. lol

I don't know, I often have the idea of the story than the title first.

Nice meeting you starlight.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm apparently something must have snapped somewhere in the codings of the website.

I'm sorry about that, so here's the links once again:


pizzofmine.efx2.com/view/32241/The-Second-Before-Impact/

http://pizzofmine.efx2.com/view/40862/That-night-at-Emilys/

http://pizzofmine.efx2.com/view/30461/That-last-blooming-petals/


Nice meeting you starlight.

5:12 PM  
Blogger starlight said...

Hi Namra. Very nice meeting you too! Will read your pieces as soon as they day's work is done. And I'm terrible at titles too!!

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Starlight,

I came to know of this challenge through Bibliobibuli and I must say, I was a little hesitant to take up your challenge for fear of not being able to come up with anything that is of substance.

Then I decided, what the hell, just go for it and...TADA...here's my finished piece - https://theeternalwanderer.wordpress.com/2006/07/21/short-story-writing-1/

7:39 AM  
Blogger starlight said...

hi eternal wanderer - thank you very much for dropping by and for taking up the challenge. your little piece sent eerie pinpricks down my spine! i especially liked - 'I shook my head sadly as I looked at the fragile remnants of humanity calling out feebly to their gods for salvation. It will not come.' It sounds so hopeless and final. Great job!!! and yes, everyone balks at the 300-word restriction, then they're blown away by what they produce! :)

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello All, Im wondering if anyone out there knows if Near Taurus is published in any book of short stories? Thanks

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home