Sunday, July 30, 2006

Animah's Short Shorts

Denial
By AnimahK

I was planting daisies the day they stormed the Prime Minster’s Office. They were such pretty daisies. Floppy white petals with a sunny centre.

The next day I planted lily bulbs in neat little rows as a border. The riots began downtown and the Chinese flooded the airports.

On the third day I lovingly cradled my roses, soft pink, scentless but oh so satiny, and gently laid them in their warm ready bed. Designer boutiques blew up in iambic rhythm orchestrated by a manic musician.

I pondered over the travelers palm, coughing as the black airport smoke hung across the skies, a warning for those who dared abandon this beautiful land.

On the fifth day, I dug a deep hole and caressed the small frangipani stem. The Prime Minster was stoned and beheaded before a roaring crowd live on TV.
The Prophet, peace be upon him, had told us to plant for eternity even on our last day of life.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rafleesia said...

This one I like especially "Designer boutiques blown up in iambic rhythm orchestrated by a manic musician"...now that's beauty in prose....

Good on you Starlight for initiating this fab idea...

6:44 PM  
Blogger starlight said...

I really like this story too! And Animah, if you're reading thing, I tried emailing you twice to thank you for this contribution and to tell you how much I enjoyed this, but the emailed bounced both times. Hope you read this, then!

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starlight,
Thanks for posting it. It was written in a moment of despair over everything happening in this country. Some months back I was avidly gardening one evening not realising that just down the road parts of the hill had collapsed killing 3 people.
Rafleesia, thank you, its heartening to hear. I wasn't sure about that particular line and whether its rhythym worked with the rest. But you've reassured me.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home