Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Back To The City Of Angels

Arriving in Bangkok is like coming home. This is one of my favourite cities in the world and I've spent the last hour smiling idiotically at all the familiar sights I've missed. But what started off as a holiday has now become a working trip.

PP and I will be heading for Phi Phi island on Friday where we will be distributing the rest of the aid we collected to the tsunami survivors. Our Going The Distance For Phi Phi & Galle campaign has been a huge success so far! PP just got back from Sri Lanka yesterday, where she bought stoves and kettles to 20 tsunami survivors in Galle. After a whole day of planning, shopping and packing the stuff into the van, distributing the goods made her feel like she had just run and won a marathon. Their reaction, she said, brought tears to her eyes. Women venturing tentatively out of their shacks, holding the stove in confusion, then shrieking in joy and disbelief. I hope we can bring the same elation to Phi Phi.

But now Khao San Road and it's treasures beckon so I'm off to treat myself to a soft serve ice-cream from McDonald's and a lovely afternoon of shopping!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starlight, just wanted to tell you I think it's great what you've been doing a year on after the tsunami. Keep up the good work and do fill us in about your experiences. Would love to hear about it. And do enjoy the city too! New year wishes to you!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home