Friday, December 16, 2005

Battling the Book

I had lunch with Mentor in Atria on Wednesday. We passed Payless Books on our way out and all it took was a "Shall we go in?" from Mentor for me to gallop straight in. Within fifteen minutes I was clutching three absolutely-MUST-buy-TODAY books. A C.S Lewis book (of which the title has completely escaped my mind right now!) Zadie Smith's White Teeth and Alice Walker's The Temple of My Familiar. Since the latter two are on my Christmas list, I reluctantly put them back. Idly browsing through the biography section, I noticed a fat sunny yellow book peering out merrily from its spot. Take Me With You by Brad Newsham. Mentor strolled up, peered at the book and said, "That's a really good book. Very funny!" It seemed like the perfect gift for my cousin, Richard. At least, until I left Payless.

By the time I got home, I was wondering whether he would really enjoy it. Perhaps I should read a couple of pages to be sure. One page later and I had to force myself to put it down before I devoured it completely. Yes, I firmly told myself, Richard would love this book. I looked at it again. Oh, the upper corner was slightly creased. Wasn't there a Christmas law against giving damaged goods as presents? But what if I was depriving him of a really good book. Better read another page to be sure it was good enough for him. As I read, wonderful images danced in my mind's eye to the tune of Mentor's earlier praise of the book. Five minutes later, I slammed the book shut.

This was unacceptable, I told myself sternly. No true book lover would voluntarily give away what they know FOR SURE would be a great book. Not even during the season of giving. It would be sacriligeous. So I decided to keep it.

Today I found the perfect book for Richard. This Is Paradise by Hyok Kang. From the shelf to the counter, I stole a few cursory glances at the pages and a feeling of deja vu crashed over me. Now I have to fight the same battle all over again.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evening Star, I stumbled upon your blog not too long ago and enjoy it a lot. My advise about not being tempted to read your 'gifts' is to have read them previously. That way you can be sure you are giving someone a 'good' book that you feel they too will enjoy the way you did.
But then again, what's so bad about allowing yourself to read the 'gifts' you have purchased for people. Readers like to share, so I'm sure your receipient wouldn't mind.

1:28 AM  
Blogger starlight said...

thank you anonymous! the only problem is, i not only want to read the books but keep them as well!! i still haven't wrapped richard's book yet, so it's calling to me very loudly from the 'christmas gifts box'. perhaps i will respond tonight. :)

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go ahead, answer the call, I'm sure your friend won't mind. But learn to let go and give the book away after reading(I know this is easier said then done especially with a book you've enjoyed). Look at it another way, it'll help you not clog up your bookshelves..haha! Enjoy! Merry Christmas!

11:59 PM  
Blogger starlight said...

wonderful rationale! merry christmas to you too!

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

muahahaha. welcome to the dark side, child. *insert evil laughter here*

7:14 PM  
Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Hello, starlight!

I've seen you post at Bibliobibuli's blog on the odd occasion. Wanted to ask you - did you ever get around to reading Hyok Kang's "This is Paradise!"? I'm approaching the last quarter of the book and have found it to be an unputdownable read. Just curious to know what other bloggers thought.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home