Sunday, December 11, 2005

Decking The Halls

Eva, my Swiss backpacker friend, hopped on a bus to the air-conditioned island of Singapore last Friday. I bid her adieu, half wistfully and half relieved. I adore running a mock backpacker's joint but after 72 hours, the four walls start tiptoeing closer towards me and my air supply grows thin. That's when I ring my mental check-out-time bell. (Note to self: impose maximum of three days stay for future guests)

But Eva was absolutely delightful! She loved everything about Malaysia - the rain, the LRT, the blazing sun. She went crazy in Masjid India, was gobstruck at the size of KLCC, went wild in Kinokuniya, enthusiastically wolfed down thosai and chapati, polished off the ketupat and satay sauce, closed her eyes in pleasure after her first heaped spoonful of nasi lemak and then asked for seconds, and savoured her leisurely stroll from the Bangsar LRT to Telawi 3. Nothing makes me fall in love with my country faster than watching someone else helplessly succumb to its charms!

Now that Eva has continued her journey, I can finally turn my attention to the High Priority task on this month's To-Do list. Decking my halls with boughs of holly. Bought from Metrojaya, of course. But the lack of pine tree, snow angels and crackling fires do little to damp my Christmas spirits. In fact, my spirits are higher than the contents of a bottle of Galliano right now.

I love Christmas and even that's an understatement! The minute I flip over the November page of my calendar, I start getting minor palpitations. Delicious shivers of excitement strum my spine and my heart feels lighter than a snowflake. And when the sweet Christmas breeze dances into my apartment, I lie on the floor, smile my biggest idiot-like smile and hug myself in happiness.

Is it corny for your stomach to get tied up in knots at the sight of a gorgeous Christmas tree, at the smell of freshly baked cookies and at the sound of carols? Perhaps, but I say to hell with being too posh for pleasure! Everyone is entitled to indulge in corniness if it makes them feel ridiculously happy!

1 Comments:

Blogger bibliobibuli said...

when i lived in nigeria i had a canadian friend who stuck up a notice in her bathroom about after 3 days i hand you the broom!! everyone took the hint! three days is a good limit

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home