Tuesday, December 20, 2005

A Dual Celebration Tomorrow

Last week my business partner dropped me an email that sent me into a bigger frenzy than all the Christmas shoppers in the Klang Valley put together.

The message was sweet and succint: 'Please take note that the date for the magazine pitch has been set for Dec 21.'

That was one whole week before the previously agreed date. I had five whole days to whip the entire mock-up, rate card, powerpoint presentation, editorial lineup and advertising revenue projection into shape. Hello midnight oil, goodbye lunch-hour-Christmas-shopping.

After spending the last five days in a haze of frantic writing, sourcing, designing and compiling, we're finally ready to unveil our baby. Today we were finally able to look at the mock-up and each other with outspoken glee instead of unspoken anxiety. Our eyes sting, our right index fingers are numb with scrolling and clicking and I could really do with a tall, ice-cold glass of gin tonic right now. Or even better, a long leisurely dip into any of the shiny new books nestling in the other-people's-Christmas-presents box. But there is still the blasted PowerPoint presentation to complete, so all those indulgences will have to wait until after 6pm tomorrow.

A celebration tomorrow would also mark another small victory. The 'Going The Distance For Phi Phi & Galle' campaign that PP and I put together on December 1st. When we first began the campaign, we hoped we could raise at least RM2,000. 20 days later and we're staring unbelievingly at the RM7,500 in our collection box. We knew we would have strong support from family and friends, but we never dreamed it would be this powerful!

On Thursday, PP will be going to Galle to attend the one year anniversary and to give aid directly to those who need it. A few aid agencies have stepped up to point us in the direction of the worst-affected and what they need. So while paying homage to the coconut tree that saved her life, PP will also be bringing gifts of fishing nets, rations and what-have-you to those who are still displaced. And next Wednesday, both of us will prepare to travel to Phi Phi to do the same there.

In hindsight, the campaign has done more for me than for the survivors. It has restored my faith in human compassion. So the next time someone says, "No one gives a rat's ass anymore!" I can reply, "Actually they do."

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelvin said...

Star-a-light, star-a-bright ! I wish I may, I wish I might, heve the wish I wish tonight. I wish that everyone has a Merry Christmas, including the "Evening Star" !!! from a blogger down under in New Zeraland.

1:02 AM  
Blogger starlight said...

merry christmas to you too kelvin! i tried going to your blog but got motion sickness because there are too many of em!

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home