Saturday, October 29, 2005

So Much For Assumptions

This week I learnt that assumptions can make a mockery of reality.

A few weeks back I decided to withdraw from the NaNoWriMo challenge. I would be completing a book project barely a week before the insanity kicked off and told myself (and anyone else who would listen) that I would be feeling mentally tired, emotionally drained, at risk of carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.

Then I finished the book and felt only one thing - lost.

Sure, it was delicious to bury myself in my long-neglected mountain of reading, poke my nose in various blogs and turn on the telly without feeling the pinches of guilty. But at the same time, I missed creating. Missed building up, tearing down, nudging forward, pulling back and checking the word count to see if I was entitled to reading another chapter of whatever book I was reading yet. But most of all, I missed the sheer pleasure of seeing my 'humble village' take one step closer to becoming a 'mighty kingdom'.


Then there's Farah, my protagonist who has been living inside my head for the past two months. She's well and fully-formed and doesn't see why she has to wait just because I need to catch my breath. After all, she points out, I already know her whole story. To convince me further, she gave me a sneak perview into a few of her favourite scenes and generously presented me interesting dialogues and even full paragraphs. With so much of her story swirling in my mind, taking a raincheck became increasingly difficult.

Yesterday I decided there is a fine line between reasons and excuses, and it was time to stop excusing myself. So I went for the first NaNo-meeting in MPH.

Today I'll be meeting Farah on paper for the first time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home