Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Ignorance Exposed!


I should have known better than to give my two-cents worth on things I know little of...like classics. My indignation over the apparent defiling of Tolstoy's work turned out to be much ado about nothing. In my outrage I neglected a tiny detail called 'translation'. An experience all foreign language books go through if they are deemed worthy for the eyes of the world. Thank you Sharon for pointing out my foot-in-mouth moment! This is not my first, though.

I have a tendency to think that the first translation I pick up is the original. I've done that once before, arguing with others that my book had to be the original because it had better sounding words and descriptions. Doh!

It didn't help that my copy of Anna Karenina was musty-smelling, dog-eared and coffee-stained. I could have probably conned myself into believing that it came directly from Tolstoy's personal library!

But two good things have sprung from this faux pax. One is that I won't be making the same blunder again and two, I know my blog is being read!

1 Comments:

Blogger bibliobibuli said...

*laughing* ... but with you dear, not at you. (I have plenty of "duh" moments too ...)

It's interesting that War and Peace is going to be released in a new updated translation becsue the language of the earlier version is considered too dated ...

And yes, you are being read and I love that you are writing about writing and writing about books ...

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home