Friday, August 19, 2005

Dancing The Night Away

Arts and culture are to me what WiFi is to a kampung kid. So I suppose I gave my cultured friend quite a fright when I invited her to watch an Indian classical dance at Sutra Dance Theatre. And on a Friday night too!

My yoga teacher from Yoga2Healthcalled me that Tuesday afternoon asking if I would be interested in watching the show. I delivered my usual non-committal I’ll-think-about-it line. Well, guess what? I did and I decided why not do something different. So there we were at Sutra Dance Theatre on a cool Friday night, after almost getting hopelessly lost in Taman Ttitiwangsa.

Sutra House is absolutely gorgeous! Fell in love with it right away. The soft lights, lush trees, good hot coffee and intoxicating incense made it all quite surreal. That night’s show was the third performance in the Under The Stars 2005 – A Season Of Odissi programme. This time two sisters – Leena and Leesa Mohanty – were going to perform a repertoire called Shyam Shyama – A Journey Divine. Even the name sounded surreal!

I’m pleased to report that my very first taste of the classical world was wonderfully sweet. The dancers were amazing! Swirls of white and brilliant vermillion, painted hands and feet, clinking jewellery and fluid movements – it was breathtaking! Am planning to go for January Low’s interpretation of The Apotheosis - In Search of the Dark Lord next month.

The other highlight of the night was shaking hands with Malaysia’s dance legend himself. Would you believe it was my first time meeting Ramli Ibrahim? My friend couldn’t. When I told her, she just stared at me and said, “What world do you come from?”

Oh and how could I forget the clever pricing strategy! Rather than say ‘Entrance Fee: RM30’, it said ‘Invitation by donation of RM30’. If that’s the case, then I just collected 60 Brownie points since I paid for both tickets!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Starlight,

I notice you're into yoga. Also notice you mentioned your yoga teacher here. I'd like to embark on classes, wonder if you have some advise for me as a beginner. Do you teach too?

Thanks,
Uma

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home