Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Om Namah Sivaya





It was a picture in last month's issue of Yoga Journal. A young woman clad in white was performing Dhanurasana or the Bow pose on a rock. Her body was arched in a perfect replica of an archer's bow and her face was a landscape of serenity. Above her were the words 'Yoga Teachers' Training Course. An intensive 4-week experience immersed in the yogic way of life. Open to students of all levels with a sincere desire to learn'. I saw it, I desired it and I sent in my application two days ago.

The International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers is the Oxford University of the yoga world. Its branches are scattered all over the world but since I wanted a truly authentic experience, I chose India. The Sivananda Kutir ashram is located in the north, right below the Himalayas. Quiet, obscure and isolated. The perfect spot for a spiritual journey. Yes I know aesthetics should play a miniscule role, but doesn’t good presentation always make the food taste better?

The ashram accepts 30 students and the waiting list is probably as long as Santa Claus’ list. I’ve applied for the April 2006 course and now it’s just a matter of waiting and hoping for the letter of acceptance to pop up in my mailbox. I’m sure everyone anywhere in the world knows what that feels like!

But this is a huge step for me. After I hit the ‘Submit’ button on the website, I sank back in my chair and stared at the screen. Could I live and breathe yoga from 5.30am-10pm everyday for a month? Could I study and pass the philosophy exams. And most importantly, could I survive a whole month without meat? But I knew that this is what I wanted to do more than anything else in the world…writing not included!

Why? Besides the fact that yoga has done wonders for my physical and emotional wellbeing, I think I’ve had a pretty good life and it’s time to give back and this is the best way I know how. I’d like to afford a yoga centre where payment is on a donation basis. None of the studios-cum-mini-clubhouse for me, thank you very much. Yoga was created to bring heart, mind and soul back to basics and that’s the way it will be for me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Evening Star. I am looking to go to netala to attend the Sivanada Kutir and was hoping you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences. Please reply to pritim80@hotmail.com. Thank you.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home